Friday, September 05, 2008

The Pumping Club

I have this hilarious friend, Kristen, who played a joke on me several years ago. She made up an email address and pretended she was in a breastfeeding "club" from UCI (where I work) and she emailed me from this address. At first, I was completely duped - and even wanted to join - pumping in the van in the parking lot and everything (sorry...somewhat of an inside joke). I laughed at myself for believing some of what she wrote but it kind of proves my passion. This might sound weird to some and totally make sense to others. Since I started nursing Gavin I have become very passionate about b-feeding. I know its the best for the baby and I have had some major difficulties (first 6 months at least with G) but have also enjoyed it more than I ever thought I would. (Please don't' think if you don't or don't like it or just want to feed formula that I would think anything different of you. I won't. I'm just speaking for myself. I have plenty of good friends who do not b-feed.)
Shortly before I had Violet, my sister-in-law asked me if I knew about a website that allows you to donate your milk. I had not heard of it, but immediately looked into it. Over the past 6 months, I have been in a process to be qualified to be a milk donor. Today I received this in my inbox :
Congratulations, you are now a qualified breast milk donor with the International Breast Milk Project! By becoming a breast milk donor, you have taken a step that can directly impact the lives of infants orphaned by disease and poverty in Africa.
It turns out, this organization sends milk to babies in Africa who have been affected by HIV/AIDS. Its kind of complicated, but part of it goes to Africa and part of it stays here for premature babies in the US, but that makes a bit of money and the money that is made on that is put into health initiatives in Africa. I'm excited because this is where I am in my life. I have 3 small children and I have been trying to find ways that God can use me right where I'm at. I can't travel to Africa and do medical missions right now, but this is another way Jesus can use me to minister in Africa now!
SO...I'm passionate about b-feeding and Jesus and this is where the 2 meet! If you're interested in more info you can go to: http://www.breastmilkproject.org/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that worked out for you. Thats so great that you stuck with the whole process and are able to donate now. You're awesome!

Anonymous said...

oh man, that was hands-down the best joke I've ever pulled... I need to re-read those emails! This is so cool, Care! What an amazing thing... and it such a fit for you... something that you feel so strongly about. So great!

PS- thanks for your message today, sorry I missed you. I think I was napping... I'm still trying to pull out of this terrible sinus bug... let's talk soon. LOVE!