Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Why we Forget

I've often heard women say that they forget how painful labor is, or how hard certain parts of life are, until they are experiencing them again. Then they say "oh yeah...now I remember." I remember feeling my first contraction going into labor with Violet and thinking to myself, " oh crap, now I remember, and its only going to get worse..." Well, as my mom reminded me yesterday during a pep talk she gave me (and I desperately needed) I forgot the difficulties of having a newborn. I forgot how hard it is to get anything done because you are either feeding or holding a baby...a lot. My goal yesterday was to take a shower and hang the laundry up. I did take a shower at 10:30pm but never hung the laundry. My mom also reminded me that "this too shall pass." I know I will look back fondly on these days and will probably not remember the difficulties, but right now, its hard to imagine that.
For 3 nights in a row I have had less than 4 hours of sleep. Last night was the worst...Violet did not sleep more than an hour and a half in a row. She has major gas and is in pain a lot. She has been crying a lot the last few days and that makes for hard days and even harder nights. On top of that, Sunday night Gavin was up several times sick with croup. During the night it is hard for me to have good perspective. I am tired, frustrated, and really bummed I can't alleviate this pain for my little girl. During the day, my perspective seems to be better...looking at Violet and knowing she was perfectly formed inside me, for our family, and knowing that this is a tiny part of a big picture of life. This too shall pass...and I will probably look back and wish it did not pass so quickly.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Yes you will wish this didn't pass so quickly! I had a HARD time with Bradley, still don't know if it was gas, or colic. I really had to watch what I ate...even caffiene...the smallest amount kept him up all night. (I know you know that though...this being your third)Just LOVE on her...easier said than done I KNOW! I'll be keeping you in my prayers! :)

Jen Epperson said...

Thanks for sharing so honestly! I can relate to the few hours of sleep, frustration at not being able to help your baby when they are fussy or gassy, and mixed feelings of wanting it all to pass yet trying to soak in every moment while they are so little. I am praying for you too and hope that you find moments of rest and renewal!

Anonymous said...

From one mom to another, just know that you are not alone! Most days, I feel like we are simply trying to survive. The other day, someone mentioned something to me about the possibility of refinancing our house. The idea alone sounded completely overwhelming and impossible in this stage of life. When you have to fold laundry while nursing a baby, keeping your toddler out of the toilet, and eating your lunch all at the same time, you know you do not have time for much else in life!

Hang in there, things are sure to improve in the sleep department and that makes everything much more manageable.

-B