Sunday, November 25, 2007

I'm moving to France

I'm ashamed to say I have no pictures to speak of from Thanksgiving. Thursday, Jason worked during the day, so the boys and I hung out with Jason and Angela for a bit, then headed to the Prince's after nap time. We had a great meal with the Fitzpatricks as well, and I headed to work just as Jason was arriving at his parent's house. Friday, my parents came over and hung out with the boys while I slept (jason worked again) and prepared another amazing meal that we enjoyed when jason got home. We missed seeing Daniel and Bethany, and wished J & Ang could have been there for the meal too, but we had fun with my parents.

Last night Jason and I watched Sicko. If you have not seen the movie, I would highly recommend it. Yes, it is just one side of the story, but it gets people thinking, and I think that was the motive. I decided I wanted to move to France because....free health and dental care, a FREE government NANNY after you have a baby, and great wine! Who's with me??

I have been reading Soul Graffiti by Mark Scandrette and I'm trying to read it slowly, as to absorb all it has to offer. Here is an excerpt I just read:
"Sometimes we become paralyzed by thinking of what might have been. We wonder what life would be like if we had had different parents, gone to better schools, chose different companions, or had been born taller or smaller, richer or poorer.Would I be happier if I were not me? We are haunted by the original deception that our world is not enough-that something is being withheld from us. A sense of scarcity fuels our jealousies and insecurities, and inhibits us from receiving the gifts of creation with gratefulness. I've seen the ruin of children, tormented because their piece of cake was smaller than the rest. How are we to know whether we have been cursed or blessed? The journey back to God involves recovery of our sense of abundance and trust in the Creator's provision. We choose whether to be ruled by wanting or thankfulness."
Things applies to me. Oh boy does it apply to me. The part I chose to type in bold...WE CHOOSE! What freedom that gives me! Its my choice.
On that note, I think I'll list some things I'm thankful for recently(many of them are silly, little things, but I can find delight in those things too!)
*Peppermint Mocha creamer (i'll forgive you for not loving it, kris)
*Closer contact with Kristen recently--its nice to feel more connected
*The delicious pie I had last night - my mom made it --berry-apple--warmed up with a little vanilla ice cream
*The comments from the childcare workers today about how sweet the boys are together - their classes were on the playground together and I guess they played together the whole time
*Gavin's love for calling family members "just to say hi"
*My times of rocking Ezekiel before bedtime --now he likes to add things when I pray--usually its thanking Jesus for candy and cookies, but its still precious
*Walks with the boys
*Citrus green tea
*Peppermint Joe-Joes from Trader Joes...oh my gosh. YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*LEFTOVERS from Thanksgiving!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Disclaimer: I have a lot of comments, sorry.
1. I'm reading that book too and also find myself reading it slowly. Sometimes re-reading paragraphs because it can be pretty meaty and I want to enjoy the meat. I'm enjoying it a lot. (Thanks Darren!)
2. I have very cute pictures of you guys from Thanksgiving so I'll send them your way.
3. I LOVE peppermint mocha creamer. (Not to be confused with a real peppermint mocha from Starbucks, but still very tasty.)
4. I LOVE the peppermint Joe Joes. I'm going to dip them in chocolate and give them to my neighbors for Christmas.
5. Don't move to France. Mark hates France and we'll never visit.

Anonymous said...

I love that you are always stretching yourself and learning, Carrie. That is a great quality - even if it hurts your brain sometimes! Sounds like a great book you are reading. Maybe I will add it to the 47 other books sitting by my bed?! =)

Kevan got lucky and had Thanksgiving off, can you belive that? Now I'm hoping we have the baby on Christmas so he can get that off too! (ok, not really)

LOVE the creamer too! That's 3 to 1, Kris.

Kelly said...

Great quote...really makes you think and put life in the right perspective. What are peppermint joe-joes?

Anonymous said...

sorry...off the subect, but when's your baby due Carrie???~ Amy in Ky