Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Why I'm jaded...and crazy about safety!!

Sure, it is all a part of the job, but it does not get easy seeing situations that I fear the most for my children. On any given day, I might see a child who has ingested his grandma's pills, has drowned, been in a car accident without a carseat, gone off a skateboard jump without a helmet, fallen off a (tall slide) bounce house, been hit by a car while walking across a crosswalk or been hit by a car when running ahead of his mother in a Target parking lot. I have seen all of these situations and many more. It is for this reason I will never let my children ride skateboards or bicycles without a helmet. They will never drive around the block sitting in Daddy's lap. They will never go on one of those tall bounce houses and I will be a maniac about having them hold my hand in the Target parking lot. No, I do not live my life controlled by fear...but if I can protect my children from known threats, I will!!

2 comments:

sfitz said...

This is a very good reminder for me as I tend to be a little lenient with my kids. I think I could stand to be a bit more protective.

A. said...

Here, here! I'm the same way. I feel like such a mother hen.