

Yesterday at Jason's band practice (for church worship) Gavin took a HARD fall. We were playing "cops and robbers" basically -he was the robber and he was handcuffed with paper towels from the bathroom. I was in the middle of telling him not to run down the aisle to show Daddy his handcuffs, when he fell headfirst into a wooden chair with no hands to cushion his fall. He cried for a long time, which was unusual in itself. He was pale and his face was swelling. We were on our way to a birthday party, which we went ahead to. About an hour later, we arrived and Gavin awoke from a brief nap and said he felt like throwing up. ALWAYS a bad sign with head injuries! Of course my ER nurse mind was a million miles ahead with the worst case scenarios playing. At the party, Gavin did not want to play or even walk. He felt sick, would not eat or interact and I was close to taking him to the nearest ER. Fortunately, there happened to be an ER Dr. there and he said we should wait it out and see if Gavin got better. Thankfully, he saved us hours in an ER because an hour later, Gavin started to perk up, ate some food and even got off my mom's lap to play and enjoy some candy. I was extremely relieved (obviously) and finally allowed myself to enjoy some lunch as well with my anxiety at bay. On the way from the party to hang out with Judy, the kids were allowed 1 piece of candy. We were stopped at a gas station and Gavin said "mom, I think I ate something I wasn't supposed to..." I turned and he showed me the chocolate that was half gone. It was peanut butter filled. Awesome. He started to panic, thinking I was going to give him "the shot(epinephrine)." I assured him we would only do that if the peanut butter made him sick. And guess what? He was fine. Another scare for me...but I guess good to know he's not very allergic to peanuts! I watched him closely for awhile to make sure he didn't get SOB (short of breath--nurse speak)....and he continued to be fine. Even several hours later, I was going into his bedroom to make sure he was breathing easy. A good day to be reminded of how much I need to cherish my children!!
1 comment:
Awwww....C...what an INSANE day! And poor little Gavin. =(
Hope the week looks brighter...oh wait, it WILL be brighter...you're having a baby like any minute!!! Hahhahahaha. It's always one thing after another, huh.
love you!
running socks here we come!
s
Post a Comment