Monday, March 26, 2007

We enjoyed a nice day at Central Park in Huntington Beach on Saturday. I was going to run, but about 10 minutes into my run, Gavin asked if he could get out and walk. I encourage him to "excercise" too, so we walked. We ate lunch, played on the playground, fed the ducks part of an almond butter and honey sandwich and got new books at the library. It was delightful, minus the $18 overdue fines I had for keeping our books out 11 days late last time. Shameful.

Ezekiel is the type of kid that gets the most out of everything. Including meals. This is an everyday example of the mess he can make eating lunch. And on his tooth is part of a black bean. I love this about him - the full force exuberance he gives to everything. He RUNS to Gavin's room when he hears Gavin wake up from his nap and says "hi!" and gives him a hug.
He also screams "ALL DONE" at the top of his lungs when he is through doing something such as eating, walking around (runs up to me and screams "all done" for me to pick him up), bathing or sitting in the car.
As I was looking through the bulletin at church and seeing the flyer for Easter, I found myself getting excited because this year, Gavin will understand a lot more about Jesus's resurrection. He is at a point where he is asking so many questions about Jesus and God. We read stories from his Children's Bible every day and he soaks them in, asking tons of questions. I love that. He also prays at bedtime now and it is not just what he has heard me pray, but his own prayers. One of my biggest challenges is to live so that my kids see Jesus through my life and my actions and not just the words I say. I guess that is essentially my challenge in every part of my life. To be Jesus's hands and feet no matter where I am and who I am with. That others may notice a difference not because I tote a Bible to work (I don't --but great if you do) but because I treat my patients with a different kindness--not one that I could must up myself. I leave you with a phrase that I picked up at church on Sunday in the adult Sunday school class: "Mend what is broken, tend what is beautiful."

No comments: