Sunday, August 24, 2008

A little Unsteady...

A funny story came to my mind while I was on a run the other morning. I was post-high school, so I was at an age where I enjoyed hanging out with my parents :-) After high school I went to a DTS (discipleship training school) with YWAM (youth with a mission) and after I got home, I had several months working and just living at home hanging out with my parents. We frequently went on runs together in the morning. One such morning my dad was trying to be a hot-shot and tried to jump over a little chain fence(think about 3 feet off the ground). His foot caught on it and he took a hard fall. My mom and I died laughing at him (yeah, we're so mean) and weren't that surprised because my dad has definitely had his share of falls in his time. So maybe a few weeks later my mom and I were out running and I said to my mom "hey, who am I?" and went to jump over the same chain. That foot of mine got caught just as my dear old dad's had and DOWN I went....HARD!!! My knees were torn up really bad - serves me right, huh??
Why did I think of that story on my run?? WELL...I was running a good pace, feeling good, listening to a rockin' song when....down I went. Yup. I fell. On a busy, busy street. Kinda embarrassing. But at least I could finish the run home. It could have been much worse (i see myself trying to flag someone down, call J on his cell, tell him I'm on my way to the hospital with a broken tib/fib...hahahaha - nurse talk for those of you who care...). The kids (and J) sure got a good laugh out of my skinned knees.

1 comment:

Irun4fun said...

Yes. I remember that day on the old RB trail as if it were yesterday.

I have also taken my share of falls on the trail near our house (Rick can testify to this). AND, I would like to say that it was a chain-link fence that I tripped over. However, it was not a fence. It was small rocks. . .or so I thought there was a rock that caused me to trip. . . .