Saturday, August 02, 2008
Am I a Sucker??
Jason would answer wholeheartedly YES to this question. I tend to be sympathetic to the people who come to the door...trying to get "points" or selling different items (yes, I bought some cleaner from someone at the door several years ago! Jason still teases me about that purchase). Last night about 8:45pm a girl came to our door and rushed through her "speech" about earning points to get a scholarship for college. I believed her. She got a certain amount of points for cash and a certain amount for checks. She told me where she lived (in HB) what school she went to, what she wanted to do for an occupation and where she wants to go to school. She was Hispanic and said if she didn't get financial help, her parents couldn't afford to send her to college. Yup, I gave her money. Not a lot. But she was very genuine (or an absurdly fantastic liar) and I decided that I would rather give her money...and if she suckered me (don't worry, I made the check out to a legitimate company and got a receipt for tax deduction purposes) then I would rather err on the side of being generous and giving and have my heart soft towards those who are "less fortunate" than be stingy and cynical. And I'm even ok if I was suckered.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
For the record, MARK bought some of that cleaner stuff too. You're not alone. :)
good for you, Carrie! Love the spirit and heart condition that led you to give; you are not responsible for what she does with the money; just your heart condition of giving out of joy!
You must have got it from your Dad . . . I've done it too!
Post a Comment