Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Am I Carcinogenic??

"Shift workers and firefighters have a higher risk of cancer than the general population and such work should be classified as probably or possibly carcinogenic, the International Agency for Research on Cancer said on Friday.
A team of 24 scientists who sifted through the evidence said more studies must confirm the link, but found that shift work that disturbs the body's internal clock appears to have cancer-causing effects, too."

No, I don't smoke. I don't drink excessively (or at all right now!), and I try to avoid things in general that are harmful to my health. And now I find out my job could give me cancer! Very interesting. I think in the future, we will hear about more and more things that are harmful for us in general. Look at our processed foods (as I eat a Peppermint Joe-Joe cookie), our sugar-free foods that are so full of chemicals (but they're sugar free!), our dirty air from all the factories, cars and airplanes...I'm sure these things will have a role in our health. Maybe that's why we don't live to 300-400 years old anymore?? You know how old someone looks when they are like ....97?? Imagine someone at 295 or something! That's funny. No thanks. I like to call that TOO OLD!

I am going on 4 years now of working night shift and lately have thought more and more about switching to day shift(no, not because of the study!). There are several things about working nights that are appealing to me. I earn more money, and I feel like I'm away from the kids less than if I worked a day shift. The thing is...its seems to be harder and harder for me to do it. The last few months, every time I work a shift, the following day is really hard for me. I feel invaded by another person and this person is super (excuse me...) bitchy! I'm impatient, over-emotional, critical, frustrated, tired, grumpy and irritable. Its really hard for me to be myself. It almost feels impossible. Its even harder for me now that I'm going on 6 months pregnant. Last night I worked my booty off and was so tired I almost didn't make it home. I kept slapping my cheeks to stay awake. I'm not kidding. That's super ridiculous. And dangerous! So that's where I'm at. I can't switch anytime too soon, because a day shift position would have to be available and currently its not. I'm sure I'll be on nights at least a few more months, but we'll see after that. Might be time for a change.

No comments: