This question is asked to Gavin at least once a day, if not more. I have gone back and forth in my mind on the issue of starting preschool with Gavin this year. I have had a lot of people ask me if he is starting - which is only natural because he is indeed at the age that many kids go to preschool. Here are my thoughts: Gavin is 4 and we have decided not to start him in kindergarten until he is 6. SO...he will have a year of preschool next year. Does he really need 2 years of preschool? No, I don't believe so. Actually I don't personally believe he needs any - but I know he would love it immensely! He has his whole life to be in school, why start him now if I don't have to? I love having him at home. Yes, there are hard days and yes it will be even harder at times with the 3rd baby here...but that's ok to me. I would rather enjoy him at home this year than have him gone. I'm sure that 2 days a week would provide some nice reprieve and allow Ezekiel and I some time together...but I also know that we can have that time next year too. I plan on teaching Gavin this year in a very unstructured way. I have been looking online at different activities to teach different things and I am going to do my own thing with him. I remember growing up, I was always the older kid in school because my parents put me in school at 6...I think that is part of the reason that my younger brother, Daniel, and i were so close - because we spent so much time playing together that year before I started school. I see the development of that relationship between Gavin and Ezekiel and I love it. I love that they play together so much and love each other so much.
This post was more for me to organize my thoughts...so there you go. Now you see whats going on in my head :-)
Thursday, September 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment