Thursday, July 20, 2006

Don't Grow Up!

So we were at the park today for a picnic lunch and I was pushing Gavin on the swing observing a group of girls who were at the park with their summer day camp. There were 3 girls and 2 of them were obviously good friends and the 3rd girl was a little younger and not quite accepted. The older girls were making fun of her for being "pre-K" and they were not letting her take a turn on the swings. All I could think about was Gavin being a in a group of boys and those boys making fun of him. I thought of his sweet face crushed and his big blue eyes confused...I want to protect my kids forever. It scares me so much that sometime I'm going to have to loosen my grip on them. I have people asking me all the time if I am putting Gavin in preschool this year. My answer: "Heck no!" This is not because Gavin is not ready - I'm sure he would do fine. Its because I'm not ready. And I don't have to be. Not yet...

I'm thankful:

1) A fun day with the kids even though our original plans for the day changed

2) Getting the house cleaned today

3) Our picnic at the park

4) My new waterbottle for running I got for my birthday. Love it! (thanks mom and dad!)

5) Getting to hang out with a friend I haven't seen for awhile yesterday

6) Cookies from Amanda. Yum.

7) The Cuban sauce my mom introduced me to from TJ's, of course.

8) Dental floss- how would I get the popcorn out of my teeth if dental floss was never invented??

9) Summer nights

10) Jason only having 1 more day of classroom stuff! And only a month left!

2 comments:

sfitz said...

Absolutely, you don't have to start him in any kind of pre- anything! He's doing great, and probably continues to do so well becuase he's learning from the best teacher ever. :)

Anonymous said...

I think you don't have to be
afraid of your son's growing.
He'll be strong because he is his father's son,you know.