Sunday's sermon really got me thinking, which is always the goal the pastor has in mind, I'm sure. Our pastor spoke about God being in all the details of life that often get overlooked because our lives are so busy with other things. We can't hear Him speaking to us over our loud music, crying kids, tv, pounding headaches....etc. We can't see Him working in all the aspects of our lives because we are so busy rushing off to our playdate, or the library storytime. I really relate to that. Since I have become a mother, I have had a hard time consistently spending time in the Bible. And as a result, the hand of God in my life seems rather invisible to my chaotic vision. I see many other things...dirty diapers, laundry, breakfast, lunch, grocery shopping...but do I thank God for the guy who came over to my car and offered to hold my kid's balloons so I could buckle them each in? Do I thank God when our car repairs are minimal? Do I thank God when my cupboards hold much more food than I need? When my kids wake up another morning healthy and happy? When my husband and I both have good jobs? The answer is no. No I don't thank God for all those details. The ironic thing, is I sit here at my computer every few days, or weeks, and type out a thankful list. But who am I thankful to?? Dang - this should cause me to pray and thank God more, but I'm not sure it does.
Scott (our pastor) talked about Moses's mom being able to breastfeed him as a baby and how awesome that was. Ok, if you are a breastfeeding mother(or even if you're not!!) that really enjoyes it and relishes that bond, you understand how his mom must have felt her heart breaking as she put her baby in that basket. The unbearable ache as she sent her son away, not knowing how he was going to eat, or if he would live. And then God worked out a way for her to be able to be there as he grew up, and breastfeed him no less. I have never contemplated this, but it has really struck me. Praise God. What a God of details.
Thursday, September 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Carrie, this is very powerful... I stopped writing 10 things everyday because sometimes I sit there and think, what AM I thankful for... but it shouldn't be that hard. Thank you for encouraging me to be more prayerful in my thankfulness. I love your heart.
Post a Comment