Yay! We made it through Jason's 6-day-in-a-row work stretch!
a) I found my camera (yay!)
b) they are feeling better
c) we got out of the house - first time having fun in 4 days
This morning we had a little craft time :
This morning we had a little craft time :
Happy (he just got a touch of this virus)
So just because I'm a nurse, sometimes I feel like I should know all things medical. Shockingly, I don't. I know a little about a lot of things and a lot about a few things (medically speaking)...so children and fevers are one of those vague subjects. When do I call the Dr? What temperature is "too high"...and other questions drifted around in my head until Sunday afternoon when I spoke to a CHOC RN through my Dr's office. I called because Ezekiel had over 103 (which was not brought down with medicine) fever all night and was over 104 during the day Sunday. None of my kids have ever had any fever over 102 and so this seemed to be slightly alarming to me. The RN assured me that children get fevers between 101-104's...and its normal. Give the meds to bring it down if the child is uncomfortable and if its on the higher level (I would say over 102.5 or 103)...and also use "cooling measures"...wet washcloth, lukewarm bath - to also help bring down the temp. A child doesn't really need to go to the ER unless the fever is 105 rectally...(but call the Dr first to double check). And a fever isn't really dangerous until 107!!! What? That is CRAZY high! Yeah, that's why its dangerous. I've never seen a temp that high in my career. They probably don't need to see the Dr unless they've had a fever for 4 days or so. At that point they usually want to double check that there isn't an infection somewhere: throat, ears, urine, etc. Also know this: if you take your child to the ER with a fever, a "over achiever" MD is likely to order a UA (catheter if your child is not potty trained), Chest XRAY if your child is coughing, blood work, and possibly a spinal tap if there is questionable neck soreness/stiffness. Just a heads up :) And I think that concludes my tutorial on fevers. Questions?? :)


3 comments:
We have definitely had a couple of fevers around 104... so scary. But every time I call, they say the same thing. Owen is just a fever guy... its how he starts every sickness. Ive learned the hard way to not go in even though I am tempted every time.
hi!!
107? thats crazy. good to know. wally had 105 a few months ago. not fun.
wanna meet at the beach soon? i'll email you.
Great, but sad, pictures! I think EZ looks a lot like J in the car seat picture, I mean... I've seen him make that face before. :-) I'm glad everyone is feeling better! Just in time for the Londoners to get here and for us all to get over tired and sick again! :-) Hope we get to see you guys soon!
Post a Comment