Saturday, July 07, 2007

When I grow up...

A recent conversation:
Gavin: Mom, when I grow up, I want to be as tall as Jesus.
Me: Wow, Gavin. Cool. (what do you say to that??)
Gavin: What do you want to be when you grow up, Mom? You could be a soccer player, a LAPD, a fireman, a nurse, or you could be Jesus.
Me:That's a lot of options...but I'm already grown up.
Gavin: No your not, Mom! You're only 7 years old!

Our days have been busy with swimming, playing with friends, messing up the house and cleaning it back up again.
The 4th consisted of some sad faces in the morning when the kids realized Jason wouldn't be at the Parade with us, but was soon resolved as the excitement took over. Seems like the parade in HB is full of armed forces, WWII vets, Pearl Harbor survivors and bands....not sure how I feel about this but anyways....Gavin was terrified at first and wouldn't sit within 20 feet of the procession. I was able to coax him into my lap and he got more comfortable with the characters marching by as long as nobody got too close to him. Ez enjoyed the whole thing. After the parade we swam with friends, napped and went to my parents house for a fun dinner and fireworks in a Wal-Mart parking lot (where are we, Mississippi??). Against my BURN NURSE judgement, I let Gavin hold sparklers...and of course it was fine. No finger burns...nothing exploded on his face but I was nervous. I thought he would be too scared, but he loved it! And the night was ended with some delicious pazookies at my parents house! Kids went to sleep at 11pm on the way home so of course they would sleep in, right??
wrong.
7:18am...MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF (ez screaming for "oof" --his word for food). My dreams of sleeping in shattered once again.

2 comments:

Jen Epperson said...

Sounds like your 4th of July was a great one! Jon and I always talk about how the 4th of July is always so anti climactic for us, because we never have anything huge going on. This year we talked about how we hope that once we have kids, then we have a reason to make more of a big deal and create fun memories (like yours)! Hope you are doing good--miss you! Let's try to hang out again--immediately! :)

Kelly said...

Why is that going to bed late doesn't garuntee sleeping in late for kids?? I've given up getting my hopes up b/c when I have put Cam down later, he actually ends up waking up earlier!