Saturday, January 01, 2011

Happy New Year!


As most others whooped and hollered, kissed loved ones and clinked champagne glasses in celebration, I started IV's, gave medication and wrapped stab wounds. With the responsibility to work one major holiday (Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Years Eve), I have gladly chosen New Year's Eve every year so I can be with my family on other holidays. This year was no exception, but since the kids are getting older, they understand it is a special night and were disappointed to have me working. We did a family toast with sparkling juice before I left and they went to bed as I clocked into CHAOS. Last night was one of the busiest nights I have ever worked, with little time to do anything - including use the bathroom. No one took "breaks" - we took about 15 min to inhale food we had brought for a celebratory potluck.
As I was thinking about the night later today, I reflected on how lucky I am and how much I appreciate that...first of all, I have a job. Second, its a job I love and am passionate about. Yes, my job includes (WARNING: BODILY FUNCTIONS DISCUSSED SHORTLY) cleaning up vomit, wiping adult booties, and smelling some of the worst breath known to man...but it also includes being compassionate and caring to people that are at their lowest. It includes kindness, reassurance and an abundance of comforting in very difficult situations. I am so thankful that this job is a part of my journey through life. The reason I became a nurse was to work on the mission field...and I DO! My hospital is currently one of my mission fields. I'm thankful God has placed me here at this time in my life. Who knows what the future holds, but for now, I will be content and pray that I am used - every shift worked.
A New Year brings a fresh start. It brings a renewing and anticipation. I'm excited to see how God will work in me, my family, my kids, my husband, my friends...now just to get those Resolutions going... :)

1 comment:

Judy Prince said...

That brings tears to my eyes. I'm so proud of you, Carrie, I know what a sacrifice you are making but I also know that you are in our Lord's service in that ER each and every time you work. Most don't know how fortunate they are to have God's hands, through you, taking care of them when they are brought in to that hospital. I pray you will always be used in the lives of your patients as well as your family and friends.
PS. I'm even more grateful that we could watch the kids for you while you got a few hours sleep after your most difficult, super fast paced night.